L&M’s unique combination of business and sport psychology expertise enables the facilitation of sustainable, optimal performance for the individual sportsperson, team, management, support staff, or across the entire sporting organisation's structure.
Sport Organisation, Leadership and Team Support
Please follow the highlighted links for further information of L&M’s services, but in brief, L&M can assist with the development of:
- A professional organisational culture, that prioritises both sustainable, optimal performance and positive psychological wellbeing for athletes, and indeed, for all throughout the sporting organisation. L&M's experience and support of elite performance provides confidence that positive psycholgical wellbeing does not detract from the achievement of performance goals, but instead, is instrumental in unleashing full potential.
- Effective leaders who possess the awareness to understand the complex requirements of relevant internal and external pressures, and the skills to enable the development of; a clear mission and strategy, effective two-way communication, and the confident and inspired team/organisation members required to promote an optimal performance culture. L&M recognise that effective leadership requires congruency throughout an individual’s values, words and actions, as such, each leader is facilitated in the development of his/her own unique leadership style.
- Cohesive and effective teams, be they athletes or support staff, where team and individual needs are considered and appropriately balanced, and where the acceptance of individual responsibility and commitment to team goals and role performance are paramount.
Promoting Optimal Performance: World-class performance looks effortless or superhuman, but to achieve this, a sportsperson needs to execute the required skills to an optimal level. This requires the attainment of minimal thought-interference and physical exertion, regardless of the skill's technicality or physicality, or the personal and situational pressure that might exist. This state of ‘relaxed concentration’ leaves the sportsperson with the perceptual ability and processing space required to be aware of new and potentially unexpected information, e.g., ball spin, an encroaching opponent, or a call from a team-mate, and to make correspondingly quick, correct decisions. Further, it ensures that neither physical nor mental energies are unnecessarily wasted, allowing freer and faster movement or greater endurance.
Progression and maintenance of optimal performance also requires consistency, being as good as you can be, day in, day out, in both training and competition. This requires strong motivation, an excellent goal-setting strategy, and the resilience to persevere and bounce back after disappointment.
Regardless of your sporting level or aims, whether you are seeking to maximise your sporting ability, or to address a specific issue, L&M’s Chartered Sport and Exercise Psychologists will aim to gain an understanding of your needs and then help to develop personally appropriate strategies and routines. This might be to:
- Develop a winning mind-set with a strong self-belief and unshakeable confidence.
- Reduce thought-interference, particularly of negative or distracting thoughts, and to develop appropriate focus strategies.
- Understand and control arousal levels - Reducing nerves, becoming relaxed or invigorated.
- Develop effective motivational strategies and goals.
- Re-discover your sporting passion and enjoyment.
- Develop effective team and leadership skills, including communication and support.
- Help you through injury, and to make a successful return to sport / life without sport.
Developing the Complete Sports Person: Today’s successful and aspiring sportsperson needs to cope with a myriad of demands from both within, and external to, their sporting world. The varied experiences of L&M’s consultants enable the provision of a broad range of support, but might include:
- Developing proactive, independent sportspeople, who reflect on and learn from their experiences, and take responsibility and ownership of their performance.
- Assisting with transitions and new experiences. This includes coping with the new demands, expectations, methods, subculture and lifestyle experienced when moving beyond the current level to a new team. Or alternatively, coping with injury, changes in personal circumstances, or preparing for athletic retirement.
- Developing the life skills and support network that enable athletes to negotiate and present themselves in a manner that meets the teams, sponsors and world’s expectations.
Please contact us to discuss your needs and our available support services.